Look out for details of our Elmer & Friends: The Colourful World of David McKee Exhibition, coming soon.
Book now for:
- Curator’s Tour – John Piper: A Very British Artist – an exclusive introduction to our dedicated gallery examining the diversity of the career of this acclaimed Henley artist across the mediums of stained glass, ceramics, tapestry and set designs as well as paintings and prints. Your one-hour experience, in a very small group, includes a special tour, followed by time to enjoy the Gallery and the opportunity to ask questions. Why not book today with friends for an exclusive group experience? For more tour detail, scroll down below. BOOK NOW!
- John Piper – online talk – if you can’t get to the Museum, or simply can’t get enough of John Piper, then sign up for this illustrated talk with Alexandra Epps. Epps is an accredited Arts Society Lecturer, Guide and Lecturer at Tate Modern and Tate Britain and official Guide to the City of London. This illustrated talk will explore one of the most versatile British artists of the twentieth century – painter, designer, stained glass artist, photographer and writer on the arts – a man of many parts. 3 December 11.30 am – 12.30 pm . BOOK NOW!
- Curator’s Tour: The Henley Story – discover the rich history of Henley on Thames, made famous by the Henley Royal Regatta, on a new and informative guided tour showcasing some unique and historic items from the collection. From the first evidence of human activity in this area, 250,000 years ago, through to the rise of Leander Club and regattas drawing rowers and pleasure seekers from around the world, hear how Henley has always been so closely linked to its special position on the River Thames and about the fascinating people who have shaped its story. Check back for more dates, coming soon.
The Museum has carefully limited numbers within each time slot to ensure maximum space for social distancing for both tours. Socially spaced seating will be in place for your comfort and safety during the Gertrude Hermes exhibition Curator Tour. Seating is available on request on arrival in John Piper Gallery. Please refer to our safe visiting guidelines ahead of your visit. All visitors must wear a face mask.
For more information, please refer to our Exhibition and Tour FAQs August 2020
John Piper: A Very British Artist
Join our Curator for a very exclusive tour – carefully limited in numbers – of our John Piper Gallery.
‘People think it dishonest to be chameleon-like in one’s artistic allegiances. On the other hand, I think it dishonest to be anything else. Not only must one change one’s spots or stripes or other outward markings according to the influences one truly experiences, within oneself, but surely one’s whole nature, aesthetic-sensually, as it were, should be susceptible to change.’ John Piper
One of the most popular and prolific artists of the 20th Century, John Piper spent most of his working life living in Fawley, just outside Henley on Thames.
Join our Curator to discover more about John Piper’s life and work in our dedicated gallery which examines the incredible diversity of his career and features work from public and private collections. You’ll see work from across Piper’s career including stained glass, ceramics, tapestry and set designs as well as paintings and prints. Highlights include String Solo, a significant early abstract work, Two Kings, a stained glass panel designed in collaboration with Patrick Reyntiens, and stunning watercolour, Cave Entrance at Easegill.
Your one-hour experience includes an exclusive curator’s tour, followed by time to enjoy the Gallery and the opportunity to ask questions. Why not book today with friends for an exclusive group experience?
Terms and conditions
1) Pre-booking is essential – no walk up tickets are available.
2) Booking subject to availability.
3) Cancellation policy – in the event that you are unwell, we will make every effort to rearrange your visit for another date. The River & Rowing Museum reserves the right not to exchange the ticket if ticket availability does not allow this.
4) Friends, Henley 100 Club, Friends of Rowing, Annual Passholders, Art Fund National Art Pass holders and Volunteers must all pre-book tickets and give their details or show Membership cards on entry.
5) National Art Pass and Annual passholders receive complimentary entry for the special exhibition and must book in advance.
6) Please arrive a maximum of 10 minutes ahead of your allotted time slot. If you would like to visit the Shop as part of your visit, please arrive at least 30 minutes ahead of your allotted time slot to allow shopping time in advance of your exhibition visit. We cannot guarantee direct entry into the Shop post-exhibition visit owing to numbers and social distancing.
7) Accompanying visitors to Henley 100 Club, Friends of Rowing, National Art Pass, Annual Passholders, Volunteers and Friends must pre-book and pay for their tickets. Pre-booking is essential.
8) Please consider other visitors when booking Friends and Henley 100 Club tickets – entry is limited and we would like to offer as many people as possible the opportunity to enjoy the exhibition.
9) Car parking is additional to the exhibition visit / tour price. Friends and Supporters must share their Membership cards at Front Desk with reference to car parking voucher.
10) Curator’s Tours – your one-hour experience includes an exclusive curator’s tour, followed by time to enjoy the Gallery and the opportunity to ask questions. Curator’s Tour tickets do not include general admission to the galleries.
11) Curator’s introductions to the John Piper Gallery now available for booking in October. Curator’s Tour tickets do not include general admission to the galleries.
12) John Piper Curator’s Tours – please ask on arrival about any individual access needs. Seating can be provided if needed.